The 6th International Conference
on "Higher Education Towards Inclusive Societies in the Middle East and North Africa"
Dar al-Kalima University College of Arts and Culture (DAK) and the Christian Academic Forum for Citizenship in the Arab World (CAFCAW) are organizing their sixth international conference on “Higher Education Towards Inclusive Societies in the Middle East and North Africa” in October 2020. This conference builds on the 2019 “Towards Inclusive Societies” conference, the recommendations of which urged us to focus our work and attention on the role of higher education and to pursue a collective journey towards more inclusive societies.
At this conference, we will encourage scholars, experts and activists from the MENA countries to engage in a critical dialogue regarding the role of higher education in promoting social, religious and gender inclusivity. We will also discuss the role of higher education in empowering young women in the Arab world. In addition, this conference will address the conditions and platforms invested in higher education and how to use their skills and knowledge to build more open and engaged societies. Today our societies remain at a distance from addressing the serious social challenges or assessing ways to deal with the obstacles and limitations that abort some good initiatives. Educating towards social responsibility and raising awareness to the various options for inclusive communities becomes a necessity. The conference aims to motivate scholars to investigate these issues in present and future research and to urge policymakers to ensure that higher education is more accessible to all society members.
As such, we invite scholars to submit papers that tackle issues related to the current situation of MENA societies. The conference “Higher Education Towards Inclusive Societies in the Middle East and North Africa” provides an umbrella for the following sub-themes:
The challenges and potentials of higher education regarding:
- Socio-cultural inclusivity
- Religious diversity
The conference provides a forum for sharing recent research, highlighting social initiatives of change, promoting interaction and dialogue among participants, and gathering results into a comprehensive monograph accessible to a wider public.
The participation of scholars from different countries will foster interdisciplinary, multi-cultural arena for genuine continuous dialogues and bold thoughts. The conference is planned to take place from October 29 to November 1, 2020 on the island of Cyprus. It will consist of three days of lectures, dialogues, and socio-cultural, economic and education context evaluation. The program will be conducted in Arabic.
Education Towards Inclusive Societies in Middle East and North Africa
To spark a critical dialogue on the current situation in MENA societies in relation to: Higher Education, Religious Plurality, Gender Equality and Social Cohesion.
- Analyzing the impact of higher education on issues related to religious plurality, gender equality and socio-cultural and political diversity.
- Exploring and exchanging success stories and best practices.
- Providing a pertinent forum of discussion on the conference themes.
- Sharing the conference’s papers and recommendations with the academic community.
- Encouraging interdisciplinary analysis and further research in relation to higher education.
- The role of higher education in modern social change.
- Modern inclusive perspectives in higher education in MENA.
- The role of higher education in contributing to social and economic growth.
- The role of media in shaping opinions towards inclusive societies.
- The impact of the Coronavirus pandemic crisis on higher education in the Arab world.
- The development of exclusive and inclusive identities in today’s MENA.
- Analyzing university curricula in terms of the notion on inclusivity.
Call for Papers
We invite the submission of papers on original and unpublished research on any of the related topics. Please note the following:
Papers should be in Arabic.
- Papers should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The only accepted format for submitted papers is word document.
- May 30, 2020: paper/panel submission deadline (maximum 500 words).
- June 15, 2020: paper accept/reject notification.
- August 15, 2020: full paper submission deadline.